Friday 17 April 2009

The secret of engagement –a perspective for trainers

Another timely and well thought out article packed with helpful tips for trainers on Training Zone (http://www.trainingzone.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=196942). I agree with Stephanie Sparrow on the importance of careful and detailed planning. Trainers need to be flexible to adjust and adapt in response to specific needs of delegates.

Sometimes, however, there is apparent confusion between planning and preparation. I have heard other views that thorough preparation will ensure effective learning. However, without considered thought to planning each aspect of the training and relating tasks and content to objectives and desired outcomes, much time would have been wasted in preparing materials that will not let delegates of all learning styles and interests get maximum value from training.

One of my favourites for follow up is have delegates use postcards to record two or three specific actions they will take as a result of the training/learning experience. They return their completed cards to me, then four to six weeks later I send them a reminder of that commitment.

Sometimes it's a gentle and timely reminder, sometimes it reveals more than just three follow up actions implemented.

Veronica


Understanding Finance, Accounts & Budgets -14 May 2009

NB. Businesses in London (5 – 249 staff) eligible for up to £1,000 training grant

You know the best recession busting strategies for business success? Join the poll://polls.linkedin.com/p/25526/lquxe


Executive Solutions (Training) Ltd, London, UK
www.tipsbookletsinternational.com

2 comments:

  1. I love getting those postcards! They're really helpful and can job my over-burdened memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very root of your writing whilst appearing reasonable in the beginning, did not really sit properly with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the sentences you actually managed to make me a believer but just for a very short while. I nevertheless have a problem with your leaps in logic and one might do well to fill in those breaks. When you actually can accomplish that, I will surely end up being impressed.

    ReplyDelete